Friday, June 25, 2010

Aliiiiive. And with internets?

I'm baaaack! Missed me?

So BAM. I'm not dead :D. I just now got internet, so I'm connected to the world again!

The actual process of me getting internet is an exciting one (for me at least). So I think I’ll just make one post about that…

See, my host is a wonderful older lady, I'm guessing between 60 and 70 years of age, who lives in a very traditional Russian home. So that means no internet. Which should be fine, except the area where I live has no cafes nearby with WiFi. That's makes keeping up with things very difficult. But the Russians have the wonderful thing called a Yota, which is like an antenna you plug into your USB drive and it allows you to access internet from mostly everywhere in the city.

Our kind guide and assigned friend, Anya, took us to an electronic store to buy this Yota. However, the Yota for Macs is different, and I didn't have enough money with me at the time. So begins Natasha's venture to get a Yota:

I managed to grab a trolleybus from the University to Nevsky Prospekt (the main street), get off at relatively the right stop (a little early, but oh well), and find the right store. While inside, I was able to explain to the saleslady, in Russian, that I needed a Yota, but one specifically for Macs, and a monthly internet card for 900 rubles. And I was able to catch her owing me more money in change than she gave me. Yeah. I was pretty proud of myself as I walked down Nevsky towards the metro.

The silly thing is, in order to use the Yota for Macs, you need to first download a program off the internet. So....you need internet in order to download something which will let you use a device to give you internet access. Um. Right.

Eunju and I ended up wandering around Bolshoui (Big) Prospekt looking for somewhere with WiFi (as I said, there are no places with WiFi on our island). We managed to find a hotel with WiFi and the service lady was very nice (love you, Marco Polo hotels). Sitting outside the hotel, Eunju was able to get the program saved on my laptop (love you, Eunju). We also figured that Russians must not usually sit on sidewalks because we kept getting strange looks...

So, for future reference, I can now properly buy a internet router in Russian. Unfortunately that wasn't taught in class.

Next post will be about more interesting, Russia stuff :D

Пока!

--Н.И--

1 comment:

  1. this reminds me of a time when Dave asked me if i wanted to buy a battery-powered battery charger and i almost said yes...

    ReplyDelete